Thursday, March 26, 2009

Our First Letter

Dear Todd,
I want to thank you so much for being in my life. I am happy to have
known you 16 years, and I love to see you and touch you. We have our
ups and downs, but its your arms I would die in if I could. You
cannot know what you mean to me---you were the only one who worried or
went looking for me when I was missing; the only one who wrote me when
I was in jail. The only one who cared. I can never repay you for
your sweetness, devotion, or love. You have saved me from myself more
than you can ever know.
Casey (female, 50, Novice, TX)


This is out first letter. Thank you so much for your contribution, Casey.


Wow. This is a strong letter to kick things off with, but Lauren and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I especially like the line where Casey talks about touch. Being able to show someone physically how you love them is a really important thing about being human it seems. I don’t know if bugs or monkeys do it like humans do, and I’m not just talking about sex... Hugging for example, is a way that we comfort each other. High fives, pats on your back or holding someone’s hand - these are all ways that we make each other feel special and loved. Touch, on the other side of the coin, is a way that people can really hurt each other, i.e. sexual and yes, I am going to say it, physical abuse.
I really connected with this sentiment because after I moved out to the middle-of-nowhere Nebraska by myself, I had no one to hug, high five or pat on the back - and no one to do the same to me! The thing I looked forward to most about moving back home was when I would drive through Amherst and stop at my old house where some of my best friends in the world lived. One of them gave me a hug so hard, I couldn’t breathe. And it was one of the greatest feelings in the world. - Amber

I also agree this is a strong letter to kick off our blog. This letter holds so much emotion, you can tell this woman would be lost without her loved one. There aren't many people who can tell a good thing when it's in their arms and I think a lot of people miss this when they're feeling out relationships. I feel a strong connection to this letter. I can count how many times I've found someone amazing, but in my case I usually realize this when it's a little too late. The worst feeling in the world happens when you realize that you passed on greatness.-Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment